Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Academic Habituation

I’ve come to realize how vital habituation is in the running of one’s life. Not only does habituation reinforce aspects of life, but it ensures they occur, and that they occur when they’re supposed to. I’m all for spontaneity, and without it life would be deprived of much excitement and novelty. But I think too often that spontaneity and the search for the new is overrated, and habituation grievously taken for granted. I speak not exclusively of habituation for the sake of attaining virtue, though in that realm it is arguably the most important, but in all areas of life. As I type this, habituation in schoolwork comes to mind. If I had gotten in the habit of writing one blog per week…well, I wouldn’t be doing this right now. I have, however, practiced habituation in having fun with friends, like last night for instance (another reason I’m writing this now). Habituation not only increases the frequency of the action or attitude in question, but the intensity and the capacity to control oneself despite that intensity. Being that I have not properly habituated doing schoolwork, not only is it a rare occurrence, but it is arguably lackluster when it is performed! I shall have to work on this…I have until 5, after all.

2 comments:

  1. I have found habituation to certainly be a large part of my success as a pre-med student. In high school, I had put minimal efforts into my school work, which caused my success in my freshmen year at Baylor to be diminished. Through habituation I had developed poor study habits. After strict diligence I was able to refocus my self on my studies, and now I have developed the positive habit of being productive. Only through habituation have I become a good student.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My O-chem teacher said on our last day of class that "life is like ochem, there's rules you can follow that will always lead you close enough to the answer. You have to find a set of rules to live by and every time you have a problem just do these things first and you'll be fine."

    Habituation is very important for a good life

    Jordan I hear you on that, it's absolutely critical to success in college.

    ReplyDelete