Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Meditation, Contemplation, and Prayer

So I was thinking about the concepts of meditation and contemplation. Both are highly regarded in the Yoga Sutras and in various philosophical constructs. But where meditation is to Yoga, where contemplation is to philosophy, prayer is to my faith. Through habituation, I have gotten into the daily practice of setting aside some quality time to talk with God. I must say, falling into this practice is one of the best decisions I’ve made all semester. By daily submitting myself to a higher power, by taking the time to thank someone for the beauty I see in the world, and by being completely, utterly honest with myself for a brief moment between sunrises, my life has been radically changed.

This makes me wonder what the ancient philosophers, most of whom I respect greatly, would respond to the concept of prayer as I understand it. Would it be denounced as ignorant submission to folklore? Or would men like Aristotle consider it on par with his prized contemplation? I, for one, subscribe myself to the latter opinion. Though cultural elements might stand in the way of my prediction, I feel that those who chose to lend honest looks at prayer would develop not only a respect, but a desire for it. And who, if not the philosophers we studied, would look at such a concept with said honesty? But regardless of whatever speculation arises out of the ancient philosopher’s opinions on prayer, I know where I stand. I used to spend lots of time in contemplation, and though I feel it expanded my mind and capacity to experience life, it never yielded the rewarding sense of fulfillment that prayer does for me. Besides, I seem to contemplate enough without even trying, so I think I’ll devote my effort and discipline to habituation of prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment