Monday, May 10, 2010

An Optimistic View of Democritean Atomism

So I was thinking about Democritean atomism. This form of atomism seems to agree quite well with the general disarray of the universe. By that I mean, given the perceived random actions of the various nebulas and galaxies, given the ever present violence and war between humans, given the constant conflict within our own selves, reducing existence to a collection of atomic particles takes a lot of weight off our shoulders. If we refuse to see ourselves and our surroundings as beings and objects, but rather merely structures composed of microscopic building blocks, we can’t really be held responsible for our actions. Whether you find this perspective appealing or disheartening, I believe it is unfortunately the most popular way to view Democritean atomism.
I choose to see it in a different way. If this philosophy of atomism suggests that the universe is truly a coincidental assortment of elements, it seems to me to be one of the greatest arguments for selfless unity and equality to date. For why should I, a collection of atoms, be any greater than you, a collection of atoms? Why should I be more or less privileged? Why should I be afraid to part with the atoms which form my resources, and why should I value them above anything or anyone else? Such a viewpoint also eliminates fear, for why should I be afraid of a few atoms, no matter what they compose? Lastly, it generates a sense of eternity, for as the laws of physics tell us, mass can neither be created, nor destroyed. What are we but a mass of atoms? There is no sense of becoming, no sense of passing out of existence. We simply are, wherever we are, whenever we are.

1 comment:

  1. I like/appreciate your point of view, but just for arguments sake (and mainly because I need to come up with more comments) I have to say that, while this view does potentially eliminate stress, inequality, fear, etc. it also eliminates love, happiness, faith, etc. I for one am not willing to abandon the Goods so I can eliminate the Bad.

    ReplyDelete